Friday 6 April 2012

It's been established, it's definitly Victorian again!

the original..a bit poofier.

Because my Victorian studies never seem to end, here's now my latest contribution! And to be clear now, it's not Edwardian as I first thought, it's still very much Victorian. It's 1890's, somewhere before the turn of the century, so since I'm going for a bit of middleclass Scandinavia here I'm estabishing that it's 1900. The A-line skirt, the poofy sleeves and the gathered bodice with standing collar, all typical of the late 1890's is what I've learned during my research for this outfit! The crowning glory would be the bead-embroidered belt that ties it together..totally proud of my first bead-embroidery there.  

a bit of 1900 in my home
The difficult parts of the outfit was as always the sleeves, but also the fitted lining and how to put together the outer fabric with it. Because, just like the originals (or the ones that I've seen), the bodice isn't as "airy" on the inside as it is on the outside..things only look lose fitting. But it turned out really well in the end! The most fun was definitely my favourite piece, that wasn't in the original plan: the flounced petticoat! It just completed the look, and it's just the prettiest ever!




I actually knew very little about this times fashion before I started on this. What I knew was the general silhouette, but I did have it confused with about 5-10 years later (hence the Edwardian-thing), but I liked how this is the next face after the bustle-era which I know very well, and it was like seeing how time has passed thorough clothing.

 The interesting thing though for me is the very different silhouette this is compared to the one I usually wear. All the weight has sort of shifted from back and low to high and front in the 20 years or so that's in between, and even though I could never pull off a late 1890's look it's been really fun doing it for some one who can! 



So here it is, all finished, my mother-in-law's Turn of the Century Outfit!

No comments:

Post a Comment