Wednesday 11 April 2012

Bel ami..like Dorian Gray but less gay..?

"Now listen carefully: Marriage, to me, is not a chain but an association. I must be free, entirely unfettered, in all my actions -my coming and my going; I can tolerate neither control, jealousy, nor criticism as to my conduct. I pledge my word, however, never to compromise the name of the man I marry, nor to render him ridiculous in the eyes of the world. But that man must promise to look upon me as an equal, an ally, and not as an inferior, or as an obedient, submissive wife. My ideas, I know, are not like those of other people, but I shall never change them."
                                                                                                   -  Bel Ami, 1885

There is no way I will know if I like my new book until I've actually read it, but when I read this quote I knew I had to have it!  I do love it when I come across words that could have been my own.. 
As I've probably mentioned before, there was only one fictional book I have actually liked and that did not bore me to tears and that was "the Picture of Dorian Gray". It's still my favourite book and I have it by my bed always. The other one more recently found is "the Crimson Petal and the White". 
 So it seems like I (just like all of you) only like things I can relate to..and in that case this bods well! 
There's just nothing like feeling like there used to be people out there thinking like me..

No comments:

Post a Comment