Friday 22 November 2013

Little things.

Sometimes a little thing can change everything. Just replacing one word in a sentence can mean having to go back and re write your parts of your life..who you are..and why. Or maybe I should say correcting one word.

I was always an unusual girl. My ideas, my way of life.. I suppose I still am. But one of my proudest accomplishments was always overcoming my shyness. Every time I look at my son I wonder in amazement how it happened that he is so confident and outgoing..where did he get that from? 
  I was a quiet, shy and impressionable girl. Being left to conquer my own world was not easy.. Luckily I found a friend to fight with me. To fight for me. To my mothers dread she was a strong and confident girl..and as unusual as me. She was the one who was there for me.

20 years later in a front room miles and miles away in a foreign land. I haven't seen her in too long. We drink wine and talk of times gone by.. 

"You were never shy..you were scared."

Of course. Changing the words in that makes me a different person..and it's like finding another missing puzzle piece under your own leg that I can't believe I didn't see before.  I know most people wont see the importance of that correction but it changes everything. And I am glad to have someone in my life who knew me better than I knew me.


Family is not just blood. Or just water. 
It's the people who see you and love you still.


I hope you all keep that in mind for your own lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment