Saturday 21 September 2013

Groundwork and Birthdays

I can't say I've ever really been that good at the ground work of things...it's time consuming and monotonous at best and pealing the skin off my fingers at worst. BUT! the best things are set on a good ground, I can't deny that, so this week I did some ground work! 

Firstly there's the pillows. In true bohemian style I like to do things in a sort of poor decadence.. which in many cases mean buying something very cheap and basic and/or second hand and making it into something extraordinary. So inside covers made of second hand fabric from across the street ( it was adorable!) are ripped up pillows from Wilkinsons. And they are...awesome. Just awesome. Now I can continue to work on the pillowcases and duvet covers. 

I have actually decided to buy the fabric and just sew it all my self from now on, partly because everything are sort of weirdly sized now..but mostly because, for some reason, the British lie to sleep on polyester. Everywhere I go I see "cotton sheets- 45% cotton 55% polyester". THAT'S NOT COTTON!! I said in Asda yesterday morning... So now I'll only be keeping my sheets brought with me from Scandinavia and the ones I make my self. 

It might seem picky..but my bed is my shrine. If you know what I mean.

I love it when people know me
Secondly (and with a proud smile), I made a bag for my hair rollers. I made it with my hands! All except the last bits are entirely by hand to the sounds of Midsumer Murders. And my fingers might never forgive me. But they probably will. They are fingers..




But now, to continue my Victorian education..and celebrate my 27th birthday, I will take a long bath with my birthday present: "How to be a Victorian".

Last but not least I want to share something I watched this morning. It is a story about a man who left the 20th century behind to live in the 18th century...ish. This could so be me if I didn't have my beloved family...but I'd be more historically accurate...hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment