Wednesday 30 December 2015

Our Dickensian Christmas



The pendulum swings back every time and so it did this year. 4 years ago I wanted everything to be as British as possibly could be and now I understood why that tasted like it did (Horrible. Just raisins and horribleness) so to spare my soulsister I decided to make things look like a Dickensian Christmas but make it taste nice as well!



There was goose, we all loved that, now I know what that fuss was about. We all dressed up Victorian-style + one santa claus. There was mr Tudors mince pies. We had candles and oil lamps and greenery inside. There was a Christmas pudding made out of chocolate (with a coin inside to see who is king or queen). And roast vegetables.. (Damn it, I forgot the mistletoe!) We even watched a Christmas carol. Most of all though, we were all more or less ill and that's very Dickensian.

Lots of cooking, lying around, paper everywhere, chocolate and I must have re-done my Victorian hairstyles 100 times but we got trough it

Even if the English seems to have left that behind I think the Victorian Christmas is the prettiest of all so I always feel a bit Dickensian over Christmas.. One thing I can't do though, as a friend of mine suggested trying out, is celebrating Christmas day instead of Christmas eve. I don't feel like integrating THAT much. Much like driving on the left side and not using the metric system it must be a thing of the past that they have held on to. I prefer holding onto non-sparkly tinsels and meat in pies. So Christmas eve it is! 

Later on I found a series on bbc called Dickensian that kept me a little longer in the Dickensian Christmas spirit so I made a new skirt out of a Christmas present fabric.. It's just checked wool fabric but it really fits surprisingly well with the rest! It's also really warm so this might be my new favourite. (I'm not really crying in the picture, I just couldn't keep a straight face in pictures this Christmas.)

Luckily a month and 12 days..ish..is enough for me to tire of the whole thing entirely and I am now very happy for Christmas to be over. I'll probably still make a 12th night cake, but that will be it!

See you again next year Christmas spirit!


Oh yes, I almost forgot! 



Best thing about that is that if this actually happened we could all easily switch and all would be happy! 

Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment