Sunday 26 July 2015

So yes. Home again.

I'm quite happy to be home in the Victorian era again, I even dug out my corset and tried it on for the first time in a..year? It's definitely time for a new, improved one! And another underskirt..the one from 4 years ago is now literally worn to pieces.

But then I'm making my two new dress ideas. One summer dress, like a cross between the one from Victorian Farm and this picture..I love this picture. The fabric was already decided months ago when I visited my friend Amanda and picked up some cheap striped cotton that I can't find in England as easily. 
It feels like the easier choice.. I need a distraction and it all fits so well into my comfort zone..no fuss. Lately my need for control has been hard to bare and I can't see any bumps in my road with this one. Can't help but loving it. Part of me wants to go all authentic and take out my real Victorian iron and heath it on real fire while I sew it all by hand but...one nightdress took long enough, I just will not have the patience.

Then there is this new idea and if the first one goes smoothly I might do this one straight after! The fabric is a woollen second hand treasure from a year ago, it's so thin and heavy..a little jeans like but I think I can fix it. I'm going to make one much like the pale green bustle dress from years ago and the red one from when I first moved here just a little less showy. I like the showy things I do..but I never wear them ( I take them out, look at them and then slip right into my brown country skirt and top) and quite honestly, I'm not sure I'm young enough or live the kind of a life to wear them even if I was a real Victorian and didn't just skip on it for social acceptance. Once, but not any more..and I say that in the happiest way possible. I've never believed in lingering too long, it makes for a sad ending to things.. There is a time for everything and that time has passed.
I'll still put gold in my corset and have an awesome skirt, I'm not old yet!



And in case inspiration fades I always have these near by:






Might even take out my How to be a Victorian book...


No comments:

Post a Comment