Friday 31 July 2015

Between sheepwashing and Victorian farm.

2 ½ days.
Looking at it now that how it feels..like half way between someone in a Thomas Hardy story and Ruth Goodman in Victorian farm..and a little fröken Julie at the end. I'd say that's a success! Pretty much exactly what I aimed for..
I decided to take down the bustling at the back, it just flowed nicer, so now it has a bit of a train. It also turned out that I like the sleeves rolled down for now.
  And I can't believe the only thing that went wrong was that one of my wooden buttons broke! 

I've gotten turned off by patterns lately (more than usual) so I shaped the fabric onto the mannequin to make a fabric pattern and then made the tucks on the mannequin. I think that's the easiest way to make the top part. The skirt is probably the simplest ever.. I wasn't sure the orange trim was going to work but that was my risky part, and it totally did! It brought out the orange in the top fabric, which is exactly what I hoped it would do.

Most of all I like that I can wear it with and without both modern and Victorian underwear because in the end, that's usually what determines if I'll actually wear it or not. Even if it's today seen as kind of a liberation (-ish, and not always in the best of ways!) to skip your bra I can still relate to the feeling of being unproperly or immodestly dressed without the proper underwear. It's just soo noticeable, and corsets do the same, it shapes you into that "right" shape, and without one a lot of Victorian clothes just look wrong. But not this one. And I can see me liking that about this dress far into the future!

So now, I'm ready to pack my bags and head out to Wessex for a while. Feeling pretty damn accomplished right now!
 Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment