Tuesday 28 July 2015

Finding a soft spot.

Two and a half days later and I'm almost finished. It's unfinished at the hem and sleeves but, no buttons and I still have to put the bustle strings in the back but..it's nearly finished. Lining and all. I smile every time I look at it because never before have I gotten it so detaildly perfect. The stripes run exactly in line from the shoulders and the tucks lay so perfectly where they should.. It's almost noticeable that my first inspiration wasn't Victorian at all but late 18th century. But only almost. 
Tomorrow I will add the orange ribbon and my wooden buttons.

I must say I find this dress slightly tricky. Not in the making but in the fit. Mentally. This is the lightest and softest thing I have ever made..as I can remember anyway.  It does fit, it fit's remarkably well, but I do feel like I'm a different person in it. Maybe when I finish it it will fit in better but for now I look a lot less...dramatic...than usual. 

Younger somehow. 

I am a city girl and that is what I know. So for me that's where my thoughts go for inspiration even in my Victorian sewing.. a land built of dim lights and overcrowding. Much like my own life. 
When I saw the light stripy fabric I didn't think 19th century, I thought 18th century..but maybe I too can find my way out of the harsh dark city out into the woods and the stone cottages for a little. 
Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment