Wednesday 10 June 2015

The new 1930's

They say that the world has not looked as bleak as now since the 1930's and that is probably true. Not since then have the young faced a worse future then their parents and not since then have we been in so deep in our own individualism and greed. I say "we" but of course I mean that top elite that has all the perks of greed and individualism. I don't really mean you and me who will, let's face it, be collateral damage in the next world war but the ones drinking champagne on their gold mountain while that happens.
But I wondered, today on my way home, if that is actually our future? Or are we going backwards..? What if, instead of going into a new 40's with war and building of a secure welfare state, we are actually on our backwards towards something that looks more like an uglier Downton Abbey? (uglier because..come on, art nouveau.) That is undoubtedly the future that the Conservatives and all the other rightwing extremists really want...men are thought to enjoy brutality but I doubt anyone wants to start wars if they can torture servants in the comfort of their own home.

But back to our new 30's! Living in the moment here I got really inspired to make my own 30's dress. I already have a pattern I think would work and the fabric is a tablecloth from Tiger. Just a simple checked dress..might even crotchet a hat to go with it and a belt, we'll see... I can't make up my mind about what buttons I'm going to use yet though. 
I'm kind of fascinated by the 1930's right now! Partly because it's so in line with how things are now so  it's an easy thing to re-live but also because it's the big WHY to a more familiar era of mine, the 1940's.  

For my part I don't really know what would be a better way to go..into war..or into servitude and inequality. Time will tell. But at least I'll be dressed for the occasion!

No comments:

Post a Comment