Friday 25 April 2014

Good bye Lucille.

Yesterday I let one of my dolls go. 
Some time ago I made a bunch of travelling dolls that I forgot to tell anyone about, and the idea was to place them out in town or together at the train station or something as a kind of "doll installation"...or put one on a train...but then I got too attached and couldn't let them go. 

Also a story of class difference, but more on that later.

I made them in the aftermath of my own immigration when I read more about the masses of people emigrating to America in the 19th and early 20th century. For obvious reasons I could relate very well to  the people who risked everything they had for a better life and a future for their children.. And as some of them were my own relatives and I wear an "America ring" around my neck almost every day I was easily sucked in. And in any case..I do love to travel around! But yesterday I saw my first travelling doll leave my cupboard and travel away..

It was this artsy place that I go to sometimes that collected artworks to put up in town and I dropped her into the artbox. Hopefully she will make it out there with all the other stuff...



And I will call her Lucille. After the song.



No comments:

Post a Comment