Thursday 10 April 2014

My man of the house (or, my matriarchical doll-world)

When building my houses I always have a 'model doll' to compare it to so that I keep the same size for everything...kind of like a measuring tape. A very complicated measuring tape. With a face.

Anyway, I've decided that I need a new one with the right look for the time I'm going for (my current one is mid Victorian) so it wont look so wrong in the rooms...and I thought hey, I do have a face already made that I could use!..but...it's a man. That's not going to work..is it..?

It's just such a clear subconscious sign of something deeper. Not once have I used a male model doll, it's never even crossed my mind to do so. I know women are way over represented in my doll making but that's partly because girls are often more fun to make..or is it? 

Women is just the norm in my world. It's not that I dislike making men..many times they just bore me.. 

 
Could it be that the world has shaped me to think that men take so little responsibility in life and usually amount to so little that they are at best fun accessories and at worst a necessary evil to the women who live the real life..that I hesitate to trust the reliability of a doll..?

Think about that next time you use the expression 'boys will be boys'.


Sometimes it's the small things that open your eyes to our subconscious and I find that one of the most exciting things of all..self discovery in a microscope.

But I will. Of course I will. The first doll of my house will be a man. For the very first time. In the end...I do adore them intesly..those men with a real mind.

But I will never ever use the expression 'boys will be boys'.
 Because immaturity is not charming in anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment