Monday 27 February 2012

Back to Victorian..or Edwardian..?

"I don't sketch, I collage"
Before I try to sleep I'm going to tell the story of "almost Edwardian". 

I'm making a costume for my mother-in-law and in that stretching out towards the Edwardian era. For my self I'm not a big fan of the Edwardian-era look, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't love to make it for some one else! Like many other things, I might not want to wear it but it's interesting never the less, and after discussing back and forth (my original idea was more Dickens inspired) we came to the conclusion that this is the era that would fit the purpose and her body type best.




So, as I do, I started with figuring out what kind of person she would have been and what would be the logical result of that in her clothes:

..the outfit so far.
It's 1905 and she's a lower middle-class woman in a marketplace. Since she's out a lot the fabric of the clothes need to be worm and quite sturdy (brown & dark green). She's not very fashionable and there's signs of the 1890's in the cut of her clothes, but she did buy a new corset recently in the city. Underbust with a straight busk, the latest thing! 

The outer clothes is the practical side..the corset shows an indulging and daring nature.. and the underdress has a bit of an unexpected rural charm (for me that is..I've never been this far out the country in my dressmaking). There's more details to come, aside from the jacket which is still in the making. So hopefully the story continues.




No comments:

Post a Comment