Tuesday 10 November 2015

Belated Halloween

Sometimes things happen as fast as when rolling down a hill. And no one blogs while rolling down hills, but now I'm back!

This was the foggiest and warmest Halloween I have ever had. It was pretty perfect actually.. Partly because I finished Lus costume in time for once! The day before Halloween it was hanging there on the hanger, all finished and accessorised and ready to wear. 

And the costume: Draco Malfoy from the Harry Potter films.




The scarf was ready weeks ago and we already did the wands so all there really was to fix was the cloak (he already has a uniform because..England.) so during a day of Halloween films to keep the child occupied and off the floor I cut out and sewed up his green and black wool cloak. Wool was ridiculously hard to find in this country. I ended up buying it online and it was ok..but I suppose the British are not a wool wearing people?
As always my child picked the side of evil and so I had to also make a slytherin badge as well. Part of me didn't have the time to find a real one and part of me just really didn't want to so instead I looked it up and drew it onto some fabric and painted it instead. It could have been smoother around the edges but I think it's good enough. 
Then off he was! to Leeds castle for magic lessons. Pretty awesome actually.

To me it's still surprising how much of the British schools actually are just like Hogwarts! As I mentioned he obviously already have uniforms  but also things like being divided into houses and having prefects and getting house points for doing things and that weird pupil-teacher relationship where they call them by the last names, that actually happens! So really, Harry Potter is much less fiction then we all imagined. It's like a version of school all the English kids imagine would be the coolest school ever..I imagine. If English kids had really restricted imaginations (which is entirely possible!)
As soon as winter sets in for real I'll send him to school dressed like this.

And the rest of Halloween? well our pumpkin carving night went off as usual. We even dressed up! there were genies, witches, cats and even a "masked adventure" (still laughing about that)...and of course a morally grey wizard. 
Trick or treating is one of my favourites though. It's one of the few times of the year when peaking into other peoples houses is totally acceptable. And no child can eat all the sweets by them selves! 
As some might remember I am also slightly superstitious so at the end of the day I didn't let the lights go out..


Happy Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment