Monday 12 October 2015

Arsenic green dreams.

It was a while ago I realised that making dresses that only fit if I wear corsets just will not be worn all that much..and I don't actually need to with this one either.. but here I sit. Tightly bound into my corset and feeling fabulous! It's just so much prettier with the corset (and by that I mean historically accurate looking). There's something very disturbingly patriarchal about how I feel a rush of power and excitement over not being able to take deep breaths or drink a whole smoothie. That panic-like dizziness for the first 5 minutes before one gets used to it.. It's the extreme of withstanding pain for someone else's pleasure and even if I'm alone I still feel it. 
To be fair, we all do it all the time don't we..



But back to the dress!

I finished it! I must say I'm getting pretty impressed with my own speed sewing and determination. I am going to make the top-part that I actually meant to make as well but that will have to be after Halloween. So far so good though, I really didn't imagine my experiment ball dress top would turn out this well. Considering I got to borrow some vampire bite tattoos from my child I might just wear this for Halloween and say I'm Mina Murray form Dracula. 

Sans corset!

It's Halloween after all.

But yes, I am very happy with my new dress, totally ready to party. Because it's some kind of synthetic (yes I know..) it's much lighter than my cotton dresses and the boning worked out really well! I can see why people put them in. It smooths it all out and makes it look very structured even if its a thin fabric. I also tried another historically accurate thing: fastenings with hooks. I'm actually quite a fan of that when it works. It usually doesnt and ends up lumpy but I think the bones helped with that too, held them in place a bit. 
I'm not sure how often I will actually use the top but the skirt really is my favourite so far. That will go with everything.


Now, time to break out of my steel prison and finish that smoothie.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment