Friday 8 May 2015

My allmoge cupboard

Allmoge konst means peasant art. Lately (sort of, it's been for years) it's become popular again in the new whitewashed french country type of style all over pictures on my facebook, but I really like that original brightly coloured version..




So that day when I walked by the charity shop and saw a little pink 60's cupboard for 2 pounds I had the same thought as some of my girlfriends has when they see an emotionally crippled man: I want to fix it!



Luckily its way easier to pick up a random cupboard off the street, take it home and fix it up into something you actually want to have in your home! Just a little wallpaint sample, some acrylic paints and some inspiration.


I must say, I think I did really well, especially considering the early 60's is one of the least charming eras to work with! Even though it does kind of look a little bit like an evil octopus on the front there.
 
In a way I think painting this peasant art is a little like a mix between dressmaking and genealogy.  It's an artistic expression.. a reaching out for a past and a belonging that I can only barely touch, one that seems to always slip trough my fingers. So I keep reaching. 
Keep creating.

No comments:

Post a Comment